It’s the missing episode 76! Where have you been, young lady? Your father and I were sick with worry.
- The National Book Awards
- The Giller Prize
- Laura Miller at Salon, on book awards
- Who the Hell is Arcade Fire?
- It was the New York Times: when book awards tried to go mainstream.
- More Laura Miller: can we even agree what makes great literature?
- Amazon’s Best Books of 2011. (In other news: 2011 – still not over at the time of this posting.)
- Keith Gessen’s Vanity Fair article on Chad Harbach
- I meant Shoeless Joe. I called it The Field of Dreams because who’s not more familiar with the movie version. I added the “The” because that’s what all the cool kids are doing. The Rock. The God Damn Batman. Everybody.
- Death in Venice by Thomas Mann. (For the briefest of moments I thought the personal appeal from Wikipedia programmer Brandon Harris was Thomas Mann’s author photo. Dissonant!)
- David Lodge
- A Separate Peace
- Paul Quarrington
- Our discussion of Jennifer Egan’s A Visit from the Goon Squad.
- Evelyn Waugh
- Jason Kottke loves Gordon Korman’s Bruno and Boots. So should you.