Play

Jon endorses Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer’s Agnes and The Hitman.

We also mention…

Music: Thanks to Drift for licensing ‘Invisible’ under creative commons.

This entry was posted in podcast and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer’s Agnes and The Hitman — Enthusiasticast Episode 50

1. Bob Mayer says:

Glad you enjoyed Agnes. It's one of my favorite books and Jenny and I had a great time writing it.

2. NinjaWins says:

That energy really comes across in the book. One of the things I didn't get to mention in the show was how seamless the co-writing was. I honestly couldn't tell who did what, and I'm really looking forward to getting to 'Don't Look Down'.

3. @jentwist27 says:

This was a great episode and not just because I got a shout out – although I will admit to being quite chuffed to hear it! I convinced my husband ( a closet chick lit reader) to check you out and this was the perfect intro to the podcast to get him hooked. I loved Mark's reaction to Jon's enthusiasm for romance – you guys had me laughing through my whole commute home last night.

I'm a terrible book snob – I'll watch any movie but I like to think I only read "good" books – so I was surprised that Jon's love of Love Actually would lead him to try romance novels but I give him a lot of credit for having an open mind. I actually experienced some angst during the Franzenfreude hoopla because I will happily read Lad Lit (I think I've already comment on how much I love One Day, Nick Hornby etc) but I turn my nose up at Chick Lit. If One Day was written by a woman and had a cheesy cover (shapely cartoon legs in high heels next to designer shopping bags) would I feel the same way about it? Would I feel the same way about myself for liking it? Does an e-reader level that playing field since you will no longer be judged by your book's cover?

I can hardly wait to see what you are enthusiastic about next week!

• NinjaWins says:

I've really had to work at it but I've finally (mostly) given myself permission to like and dislike anything, regardless of how I think I "should" feel about it. Isn't it weird how we do that to ourselves? It's like a self-imposed fun reduction.

In the next episode you will hear the sound of two men who really missed having that extra hour to prepare. (And I can't believe I'd never heard of the book Mark recommended, since based on his description it was written just for me.)

4. Ash says:

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this episode. I've been listening to your podcast for several months… maybe even since you started, but this is probably my favorite episode yet.

• NinjaWins says:

Thanks Ash… this was definitely one of my favourite episodes to record, so I'm glad that came across.

5. You should have had me in as a guest on this episode – I used to work for Harlequin as a proofreader! (Favourite typo: “He panted heavily in her rear.”)

If you're wondering why some of the female characters in romances don't seem, well, very feminist, there's been a lot of work written about this. In short, a lot of people argue the Harlequin model is in fact feminist because it empowers women in the (usually) domestic sphere by allowing them to “tame” the alpha males and have all their needs met – emotional, financial, physical. So they are narratives of empowerment and agency – something the readers don't always have in their real lives. But that's a gross generalization that focuses on the Harlequin model alone.

You're right about it being trickier to figure out what's a romance and what's not with ebook covers. I bought what I thought was a steampunk adventure book a few weeks back, and halfway through I realized I was in fact reading a steampunk Harlequin!