Jon endorses Jonathan Tropper’s This Is Where I Leave You.
We also mention…
- It is Oscar week so we run down some picks.
- Picture – Avatar
- Director – Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
- Actor in a Leading Role - Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
- Actress in a Leading Role - Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
- Actor in a Supporting Role - Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
- Actress in a Supporting Role - Mo’Nique, Precious
- Animated Film – Up
- Original Screenplay – Mark Boal, The Hurt Locker
- Adapted Screenplay – Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, Up In The Air
- Precious screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher on KCRW’s The Treatment
- 11:11 – We talk about The Secret of Kells. Shockingly, Jon is correct. The film had a brief run in December to qualify for an Oscar nomination, and will get a North American release on March 12. See two trailers here.
- 14:29 – The Academy defines “adaptation” as “any connection to a previous work”, hence the nom for Disctrict 9 in the Adapted Screenplay category. Did you know all sequels are adapted screenplays by definition?
- 21:08 – Jon absolves himself, and the podcast, of any liability for the results of wagers made using these recommendations.
- 21:17 – Endorsement of This Is Where I Leave You
- Tropper’s The Book of Joe at Amazon.com
- Wikipedia entry for The Kite Runner
- Wikipedia entry for Josh Bazell
Jonathan Tropper’s official website http://jonathantropper.com/